Thursday, February 16, 2017

The Girl Who Drank The Moon

 

Title: The Girl Who Drank The Moon

Author: Kelly Barnhill

Genre: Young Adult/Children's, Fantasy

Rating: 4.25 out of 5 


This lyrical beauty has a strong beginning and end. Sadly somewhere in the middle, for a reason I can't identify I lost a bit of interest (4.25 stars out of 5 for me). However that can't take away from the gorgeous writing that Kelly Barnhill has put together. The story is both cute, poignant and funny all at the same time. 

This reminded me of a combination of Terry Pratchett's Discworld and Alice in Wonderland. 


What I can really say about this book is just read it if it intrigues you at all. Don't be put off by its children's classification as there's so much more here than a pre-teen/YA book. I can absolutely appreciate why it has won so many awards and would buy it for so many people I know. 

My small blip with it in the middle may have just been timing, my attention wandering for other reasons or any number of things. I think in a few years I'd be very comfortable and happy to re-read this book and feel like I was revisiting a real gem of literature. 

3 comments:

Justine said...

Ooh I love Alice - I will definitely have to try this one!

Leonore Winterer said...

This sounds lovely! I greatly enjoy children's/YA books like this, regularly revisiting favourites from my own childhood and youth.

Heather said...

Sounds intriguing:)