Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Book Review: A Second Chance At Life

Title: A Second Chance At Life
Author: Kassandra Lynn
Genre: Romance, Historical, Time Travel 
Rating: 3.5 stars out of 5 

This was a 3.5 star read for me. I add in the extra half star as it was so exciting I put down my other book, a New York Times bestseller, to finish this one. That's gotta says something! 
A Second Chance is a cute story about a girl whose had a string of bad luck and gets a chance to do it all again. She starts anew just before her luck turns wrong. There's nothing special here per say; but it's a solid romantic, historical read. I could pick many things apart about it (the announcement of a new heir, the amulet that is forgotten for half the book, the motives of the step sister are vague, the future man is one dimensional, calculated is repeated ad nauseam, etc) but the reality is I looked past all those little things and still enjoyed this short read. 
It's possible that it being just over 200 pages helps. I didn't have time to be annoyed too much by any characters and the action is non-stop, page turning fun. 

I sympathize and understand our lead gal personally which also helped bring me into the story. Being betrayed, wronged or persecuted 'just because' is a sore spot with me. I always seem to side with characters who are a little manipulative if it helps gets some small amount of revenge on their tormentors. So if you hate the small justifications that we all use everyday for our actions then you may not agree with all of our heroine's choice; but you'd have to be heartless not to sympathize with her on some level. 

Overall I believe this fun little romp is worth the time to read the 200 pages. 
I'm curious about it being a series... I hope it's time travel with all new characters and not these main characters again as I feel their story is mostly complete. 

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review. Don't believe me? Check out the other books I've had eARCs for that I gave great or poor reviews to. I always give my opinion whether good or bad.

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

Sounds interesting! I often find that with books - being annoyed and turned down by so many small details, but still enjoying the over all experience.